How Home Networks Work
It is a system of interconnected computer systems in a home. The system provides extra safety to your home. The basic types of home network systems are wired and wireless connection systems. If you want detailed information about how home networks work, you can go through our guide on the working of home networks.
Home Networking Guide
Several websites are there, providing information about home networking. We will give you brief and accurate information about the home networks. The topics we will cover in this guide are;
- Home wireless network setup
- Setting up a home network server
- Basics f home networks
- Home networking for dummies
Home Network Basics
Setting a wireless network at home is not a difficult task. All you need is a little knowledge of the basic terms related to wireless networking. Some of these terms you need to know are;
Access Point (AP): It has a radio transceiver (transmit and receive waves) and connect devices to the internet.
Bluetooth: Connects devices through wireless. The most common Bluetooth speed is 3 Mbps.
Ethernet: A cable connecting the devices to a router providing wireless connectivity.
IP address: Identity number of your wireless device. It helps in the smooth transfer of data.
Local Area Network (LAN): It connects all the computers within a house.
Service Set Identifier (SSID): The identity of the wireless network which needs to be recognized by all other devices for connectivity.
Home wireless network setup
Wireless networking is currently the leading needs of most users. People these inaugurate fiber optic cable to their homes themselves by taking some good guide. To set a wireless network first, you need a wireless router, a computer, laptop or wireless connecting devices, two Ethernet connecting cable, and a modem like fiber, cable, and DSL, etc.
Setting up a home network server
Steps to set wireless network at home are;
- Place your router in the center of your home, away from windows, and electronic devices.
- Before connecting your modem to the router, turn it off.
- Join the modem and router together through the Ethernet cable.
- Now with the help of the second Ethernet cable, connect your laptop or computers with the modem.
- Power the modem, router, and computer in a particular order one by one.
- Turn on the computer and enter the router’s IP address on any web browsing page.
- Set and modify the administrator information and password as you want.
- The most crucial step is then to add WPA2 security, which helps you save from the loss of data through WPA2 encryption.
- Give a proper name to your wireless network so you can recognize your one.
- As most of the people around us use wireless services, you can change the wireless channel for smooth processing. The best channels are 1, 6, and 11.
- Remove the Ethernet cable from the computer and save wireless configuration on a USB.
- Now turn on your other devices and try to connect with your wireless network. Enter the password you have set and start surfing.
Home networking for dummies
Wireless network not only connects your computers and laptops, but it also connects all your devices like printers, mobile, and even changes the temperature of your refrigerator too. For this, you should also know about the capacity and model of your motherboard. Apart from answering a phone call, you can also perform different tasks on your portable computer anywhere at home.
How to set up a network switch for home networking?
If you have multiple devices to connect with the router, you can use an Ethernet switch with multiple ports on it. Connect an Ethernet cable on one of the port on Ethernet switch and insert the other end to the router port. Now use more devices by connecting to the Ethernet switch ports.
What is home networking?
It is a system of interconnected computers within a specific range, i.e., in the office or at home.
What is echo home networking?
Echo networking is a modem with a single full transmission in the homes. It eliminates the chances of weak Wi-Fi signals.
What is wireless home networking?
When electronic devices are connected without the use of cables i.e., Wi-Fi, it is known as wireless home networking.
What is a home networking service?
When you connect all your devices through the use of the internet.
How to do home networking of computers?
It is not a difficult task. Just select the suitable operating device in your area for wireless networking, and then start the modem as explained above.
How many devices on a home network?
It depends on the number of ports in your router and the capacity of wireless services. You can increase the number by adding an Ethernet switch.
- 1 How Home Networks Work
- 1.1 Home Networking Guide
- 1.2 Home Network Basics
- 1.3 Home wireless network setup
- 1.4 Setting up a home network server
- 1.5 Home networking for dummies
- 1.6 FAQs