All the computers contain a cooling system for their processors. Why? A processor of a computer handles billions of operations per second of the computer. As it requires electric charges to work, it heats up and just needs to be cooled down. People even cleansed their mousepads themselves, though, cleaning a laptop fan needs some extra knowledge to do it safely but you can clean your laptop fan yourself easily. For such purpose, a cooling system is installed inside the system so that the CPU does not get ruined. This cooling system consists of a small fan directed towards the CPU and some other components.
With time, the fan will be bunged with dust. Due to which the cooling system will not work precisely and overheating may damage the CPU, causing computer breakdown. Many of us cannot afford such breakdowns, especially people with business, travelling, or short deadline projects. To reduce the chance of such malfunction, one must have to clean the laptops CPU fan.
Do not know how to clean a fan of the laptop? Don’t fret because in this article we are going to tell you how you can clean a laptops’ fan.
There are three ways to clean your laptop.
Cleaning Laptop Fan with Compressed Air
In this method, you can clean the laptop’s fan without opening the laptop. Cleaning a fan of the laptop with compressed air is the easiest way as you do not have to disassemble your laptop. Plus, it saves your time. For this method, you will require a can of compressed air. Follow the instructions below to clean it.
Apply a long straw to the mouth of the can of compressed air.
- Next, get the straw’s mouth nearer to one of the vents hole of the laptop’s fan and press the can button.
- Repeat the above step for all vents of the fan.
- After cleaning the vents of the fan, clean the other vents which are at the bottom of the laptop. This will help you clean the dust from all the other components.
- It is the easiest way.
- No need to disassemble your laptop.
- Saves a lot of time.
- It is difficult to find compressed air can in some areas.
- A can of compressed air is expensive.
2. Cleaning Laptop Fan with Vacuum Cleaner
If you have a vacuum cleaner of small size at your home, then you can also clean the fan of a laptop with it. It is also an easy method, you can even use cordless vacuum cleaners, we know how fine these vacuum cleaners are. You also do not need to disassemble or open the laptop for it. How to do it? Let see:
- Set your vacuum cleaner at the medium pressure. As different vacuums have different pressure levels, so you have to guess the pressure measurement on your own.
- Start the vacuum.
- Get the mouth of a vacuum cleaner near to the hole of the fan’s vent.
- Repeat it for all vents, even which are at the bottom of the laptop.
- No need to disassemble the laptop.
- It is an easy way.
- Saves money for buying compressed air can.
- It is an expensive method if you need to purchase the vacuum cleaner.
3. Cleaning Laptop Fan by Opening the Laptop
If the fan of your laptop is still clogged with dust, then I have bad news for you. You need to disassemble the laptop for it and clean it manually with a clean piece of cloth. The instructions below will help you know how to clean the laptop by opening it.
- Remove the battery and unplug the laptop from any power source.
- Unscrew the bottom panel of the laptop: Take all the screws out of the bottom panel with the help of an appropriate screwdriver. Put all of the screws in a small bowl or cup. Do not lose any of them.
- Unscrew the silver plate above the fan: If you see a silver sheet with holes in it, then unscrew it. The fan is under that plate.
- Unscrew the keyboard panel of the laptop: If you did not find a fan at the bottom of the laptop, then don’t worry. Some manufacturers made laptops in such a way that you can access the fan by opening the above (keyboard) panel. Remember, you must need to unscrew the bottom panel to open the top one.
- Separate the fan: Detach the fan from the laptop carefully.
- Clean it with cloth: Holding the fan in your hand, clean it very carefully. Clean the vents of it too.
- Reassemble the laptop: Attach the fan back to its exact place and stiffen all the screws of the laptop.
- You will be able to clean the fan and other parts of the laptop thoroughly.
- It is not expensive.
- It is a time-consuming method.
If you do not want to take the risk of doing it yourself, go to a computer mechanic. He will do it for you. But if you have done disassembling the laptop before, it will be a piece of cake for you.
How to Clean Laptop Fan Dell
If you have a Dell laptop and do not know how to clean its fan, follow the instructions below.
- Unscrew the bottom panel: The first thing you need to do is to unscrew the bottom of the laptop. Although the fan of Dell laptop is accessed from the top panel, you need to extract the bottom panel first.
- Unscrew the keyboard panel: The Dell Company designs its laptop in such a way that you can access the fan by opening the top panel of it. Take out all the screws to separate the whole keyboard panel.
- Separate the keyboard panel from the laptop: After unscrewing the laptop from top and bottom, detach the keyboard panel, and you will be able to see the fan.
- Clean fan with a piece of cloth: Scrub your laptop fan without taking apart carefully with the help of fabric.
How to Clean Laptop Fan of Asus
Disassembling and cleaning the fan of Asus is the same as other laptops. The only difference is that you need to disconnect the cables of the keyboard and touchpad before accessing the fan. Try to do it safely, as you could break your laptop keyboard power connector. Follow the below steps to clean laptop’s cooling fan of Asus:
- Detach the bottom Panel: Remove all the screws from the bottom panel and put them in a small cup. Do not lose them.
- Detach the keyboard panel: You also need to remove the keyboard panel to clean the fan. Remove all screws of the board and put them at a safe place too.
- Disconnect the keyboard and touchpad FFC cable: After unscrewing the keyboard panel, you need to disconnect the wires of the keyboard and touchpad under the board.
- Separate the keyboard panel: After disconnecting cables, put the board away.
- Disconnect the cables of a fan: Detach the connected wires of the fan and separate it from the motherboard. It depends on the model of your motherboard, you can also inspect yourself that what motherboard model you have.
- Clean fan with a piece of cloth: by holding the fan in one hand, clean it very carefully.
How to clean a laptop fan without compressed air?
If you do not want to use a compressed air can, you can also clean the fan by a vacuum cleaner. Another way of cleaning the fan is by opening the laptop.
- Unscrew the bottom panel (and keyboard panel in some cases).
- Disconnect the cables of the fan.
- Clean it with the help of a cloth.
How to clean a laptop fan with a straw?
Put the straw in the mouth of Compressed air can. It will help you clean the vents of a fan more efficiently.
Can we clean the laptop fan without disassembling?
Yes, you can clean a laptop’s fan without disassembling by using compressed air can or vacuum cleaner.
How much does it cost to clean a laptop fan?
If you want to clean it using compressed air can then it will be a little expensive because the price of a compressed air can is $80. If you have a vacuum cleaner at home or you want to clean it by disassembling the laptop, then it will be free of cost. However, the disassembling method will take time.
How to clean a laptop fan of Lenovo?
You can clean the Lenovo fan by following steps:
Remove the battery.
- Unscrew one side of the bottom panel on which side you see the vent of the fan.
- Disconnect the cables of a fan.
- Clean it with a piece of cloth.
What is the best way to clean a laptop fan?
If you want to clean the fan with easy ways, the best approach is to use a compressed air can or vacuum cleaner. If you’re going to clean the fan thoroughly, disassemble the laptop and clean it.
Does cleaning laptop fan help
Yes, of course, it does. It enhances the functionality and life span of CPU as it helps it cool down from all the overheating.
How often do I need to clean my laptop fan?
One should clean the fan of the computer after every six months.
When to clean the laptop fan?
It is recommended that you should clean the laptop fan after every six months.
Can I clean a laptop fan with water?
We prefer not to wash the fan of the laptop with water as it can be damaged from it.
- 1 Cleaning Laptop Fan with Compressed Air
- 2 2. Cleaning Laptop Fan with Vacuum Cleaner
- 3 3. Cleaning Laptop Fan by Opening the Laptop
- 4 How to Clean Laptop Fan Dell
- 5 How to Clean Laptop Fan of Asus
- 6 FAQs
- 6.1 How to clean a laptop fan without compressed air?
- 6.2 How to clean a laptop fan with a straw?
- 6.3 How much does it cost to clean a laptop fan?
- 6.4 How to clean a laptop fan of Lenovo?
- 6.5 What is the best way to clean a laptop fan?
- 6.6 Does cleaning laptop fan help
- 6.7 How often do I need to clean my laptop fan?
- 6.8 When to clean the laptop fan?
- 6.9 Can I clean a laptop fan with water?